Thursday, May 5, 2011

It's a peak time for birds in the Garden

The chorus of bird songs that welcome me each morning as I walk up the hill to my office is amazing. 

Many are familiar, but they're punctuated with new birds as migrants come home or move through.

I heard a Louisiana Waterthrush yesterday with Patrick McMillan (the director of the Garden) along the streamside trail beyond the Woodland Wildflower Garden  -- it's full of different species of ferns, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, and a few trilliums.

I heard the song again today on a lunchtime walk with a good friend.  

Males sing profusely when they're establishing their territories, and I heard the song at the same spot as yesterday.  Hopefully, he'll attract a mate and establish a nest in the eroded bank at that spot -- it seems like the right habitat.

No comments: